Thursday, April 24, 2014

Staying young with play

I think we need to play more.

Kids play, they're encouraged to be creative and they laugh a lot. When we grow up, we think we're supposed to be serious. We feel embarrassed if we're not perfect at something or make mistakes. We go to work. We do housework. Even our recreational time is called a "workout".

Why? No wonder people try to get out of it. Well let's take it back! There is no reason why we can't play. It's not childish. There is something built in to humans to play, to explore, to learn new things.

So that's what I'm doing. I work with a dragon boating team, on their landing training. Based on the strength requirements for the sport, I have them doing a mix of upper and lower body exercises, all with emphasis on the abs. Above all, I've tried to keep it fun. I bring in big balls, little balls, even tiny balls into the dance studio I rent. Last week they were standing on balance domes and playing hot potato. We do bodyweight suspension training, use agility ladders and play with hula hoops.

I also teach a hoopdance class afterward. Everything is based on the science of exercise and the results of a fitness evaluation for each person, but after that, it's about play. Movement is meant to be enjoyable, not drudgery. Our bodies are designed to move and even if there is arthritis or pain, movement is better than no movement. Studies have shown that exercise helps people manage arthritis.

I don't believe we have to run marathons to be fit, nor do I think we have to be beat up to be fit. Increased heart rate is good, sweating is good, and to create change within the body... some muscle fatigue. It's all good though -- Don't you remember coming in from playing for hours and feeling a little wiped out? That's it!

Go play.


No comments:

Post a Comment