Monday, April 29, 2013

Hoopnotica says Good Morning to America

 Hoopnotica appeared on Good Morning America to demonstrate basic waist hooping and share with everyone how Kelly Osbourne and many others, have lost weight and found a fitter self by hooping! If you missed it, watch here.

Our beloved exercise activity is catching on, but I have been teaching hooping to fun seekers in the Farmington area for two years.

I do not kid when I say everyone can hoop. The basic skills are very accessible, and I have had a 100% success rate in teaching people how to keep the hoop rotating. Some tips for success are:
* Proper body position. Head up, chest back, pelvis tucked, knees soft.
* Proper movement. Contrary to what we think, waist hooping is not circular. We push forward and pull back, propelling it with our legs, and keeping "core" engaged.
* Toy hoops are too small. We use adult hoops. The larger the hoop, the slower it goes, and the easier it is to keep the hoop moving. When you come to my class, you will be matched with a hoop size that works for you.
* Body hugging clothes made of cotton help keep the hoop up. Avoid baggy or shiny clothing.
* Practice and patience. You will burn calories, work up a sweat and have fun doing it, so don't worry about anyone else, or your own imperfections at the start.

Trust me. I couldn't hoop as a kid, and I took the bold step of trying a hoop one day in a store, walked out with it, and three lessons later, I was at my first teacher training. I was in the room with hoopers who had skills beyond me, and I wasn't sure I was in the right place, but the Jacqui Becker in this video was one of the trainers leading that training, and she was gentle and kind. My enthusiastic spirit was admired and I was given the guidance and nurturing I needed... from Jacqui, by another master trainer Jocelyn and Shavonne, my mentor. I completed my teacher training within 6 months and gained not only the physical skills, but also saw what a warm, nice community hooping is.

There is no judging in my class. Just fun, play and laughter. As adults, we go to WORK. And then we do houseWORK. Some of you help your kids with their schoolWORK or perhaps even your own. Hopefully you even do your WORKout. But why so much work? I think we forget how to play. Hooping is an effective exercise, and it is also a way to play and find that youthful spirit again. Children stay fit by playing and doing sports. So why can't you?

The following clip shares Jacqui Becker's viewpoint on how Hoopnotica breaks down the skills and takes the mystery out of it, enabling everyone to learn to hoop.

No comments:

Post a Comment